We adore our Volvo. We bought it brand spanking new. We appreciate the elegant, slim lines of this venerable car. The restraint used in the application of chrome trim. The quiet luxury of the dark red leather upholstery. We are so reluctant to part with this car. We love it and it has been so much a part of our life, but our beloved Volvo was decidedly showing her age. The headliner drooped and sagged and was water-stained. (A headliner is the lining on the inside roof of a car). Definitely a major face-life required. The front leather seats were worn thin. They deserved a complete new look. Our cherished car needed a make-over.
We replaced the boring beige coloured headliner with a rich, red fabric the same colour as the leather upholstery. Spectacular! U-Tube showed us how. It was a two person job and a days work and many cups of tea.
Installed and finished!
Now for the front seat covers. I was thinking a red toile de jouy fabric. I love anything that has a French Look. But it wasn’t practical. The cotton fabric had less than 3,000 rubs.( Fabric strength is determined by how it rates on the double rub that approximates the wear and tear that comes from someone setting down or getting up from an upholstered seat. ) I needed a fabric that would give me around 100,000 rubs. I found some elegant wool tweed fabric with colours in the tweed that complimented the leather seat backs. It had that classy Old English country house stiff-upper-lip look, and it was good for 100,000 rubs.
The fronts seats were removed to allow me to obtain a perfect fit.
It was a simple matter for me to make a paper pattern and sew the tweed fabric into fitted seat covers. Heavy cotton flaps were sewn to the sides of the seat. These were pulled under the seat and tied securely
The car seats are ready to be re-installed.
The Make-Over is complete!