Meyer Lemons arrived today at our local grocery store. Their season is brief. You have just a few weeks to to create culinary heaven from this queen of citrus fruit.
Meyer lemons have a heavenly juice – at once sweet and sour. A more floral scent and taste and a thinner peel than other lemons. You can put slices of lemon under the skin of roasting chicken. Cut into quarters, toss it with olives and chicken pieces and roast to heavenly caramelized perfection. Make Meyer lemon sorbet or lemon tart for glorious dessert treats. There is no end to the addictive and intoxicating ways you can use Meyer lemons.
l. Whip cream with a little icing sugar. Add grated Meyer lemon rind. Mound it on slices of pound cake.
2. Arrange thin slices of Meyer lemons on a pizza crust with goat cheese, fresh rosemary and olives.
3. Drop a few slices into a pot of Darjeeling tea.
4. Put a twist of Meyer lemon into a martini. Think of James Bond.
5. Add Meyer lemon zest to French toast.
6. Slice Meyer lemons and put them into your bath with a sprinkle of lavender. Light a few candles.
7. Throw the peel of a Meyer lemon on the grill before cooking shrimp. Grill it golden brown and top with the cooked shrimp.
8 Perfume your sugar bowl by stirring strips of Meyer lemon peel into the sugar.
9. Put a Meyer lemon studded with whole cloves in your lingerie drawer. Dust with orris root as a preservative.
10. Top pancakes with a little butter, a sprinkle of sugar, a squeeze of lemon, and grated Meyer lemon zest. Add another pancake, repeat until you have several layers. Slice and serve like a layer cake.
11. Rub a Meyer lemon peel around the rim of a demitasse of espresso.
12. Make sandwiches of thinly sliced Meyer lemons, smoked salmon and sour cream on pumpernickel bread.
13. Roast a combination of green, black and cured olives with olive oil, some Meyer lemon peel and fresh rosemary.
If you would you like to add to this delicious list I would love to hear from you. You are always welcome in the kitchen.