Once a year our garbage collectors pick up almost everything people leave by the side of the road. There is a lot of good stuff available just for the taking. Our neighbors put out this wreck of a chair. It wasn’t until I got it home that I realized it was in terrible shape.
Someone had started the job of reupholstering the chair. The fabric and the padding had been removed. All that was left was the foam seat. It wasn’t a particularly well-made chair. Instead of the usual webbing it had cardboard. This was not going to be an easy job. Was it worth the effort???
It sat in the garage for three years. I had almost decided to put it out in the yearly pickup. I couldn’t see the sense in spending a huge amount of time and money on this rambling wreck.
My solution was simple. I painted every part of the chair with gray water base primer – cardboard and wood. Two coats. Then I added a little water to thin out ordinary flat white wall paint. I used this diluted paint as a glaze.
I brushed this white glaze over the gray paint. I put lots of white into carvings, and used a damp cloth to rub away some of the glaze on the rest of the wood. This entire procedure took just a couple of hours. When the glaze was dry I rubbed clear wax over the wood and polished it. Finished!
I covered the existing foam with heavy cotton twill.
I tacked the fabric in place with upholstery tacks. I had seen this “unfinished upholstery” look in several of my French magazines.
The seat finished I glued padding to the back of the chair and covered it with light weight cotton. Then carefully tacked the finishing fabric over this.
My French beauty finished!!
The final touch is the kidney pillow I made using Paris graphics from THE GRAPHIC FAIRY. Oooh La La. And to think I was going to throw this chair away.